Values and Principles
Personalised Education Now has a foundation of principles and core values:
Principles of Personalisation… The Centre for Personalised Education – Personalised Education Now have developed these principles and indices of personalisation. They represent the underpinnings of any personalised educational setting and landscape. They are the agenda for transforming our learning systems and for Personalised Learning.
- Learner–managed and co-constructed learning… to meet learning styles and preferences and supported by a range of others
- Shift from dependency to independence and interdependency… based on the principals of subsidiarity, personal responsibility and choice
- Invitational learning and assessment… institutions, contexts, settings and experiences
- Learning from an educational landscape of opportunities …within physical and virtual places and spaces
- Re-integration of learning, life and community… Life not necessarily lived to a pre-determined linear pattern … interweaving learning with all aspects of living and community
- Democratic values, organization and practice… democracy is not pre-determined and has to cultivated and developed.
- Catalogue and natural versions of curriculum and assessment… no imposition – choice from pre existing curriculum catalogues or developing learners own natural preferences
- De–coupling of age–stage progressions and assessments… learning linked to readiness and the principle of real life-long learning
Personalised Education Now promotes education based on learner-managed learning, using a flexible catalogue curriculum, located in a variety of settings, and operating within a framework of democratic values and practices. An educator becomes, pre-dominantly, ‘the guide on the side’ rather than ’the sage on the stage’.
The Centre for Personalised Education – Personalised Education Now seeks to maintain ‘Edversity’ and the full range of learning contexts and methodologies compatible with Personalised Education, our latest understanding about the brain, and how we develop as learners and human beings throughout our lives.
Personalised Education results in learners whose outcomes are expressed in their character, personality, in the quality of life they lead, in the development and sustainability of our families, communities, and planet and in peaceful co-existence and conflict resolution. Performance indicators are measured as much in terms of their physical and mental health, in peaceful existence, freedom from crime, usefulness of contributions and work, levels of active citizenship etc as they are in the existing limitations of the assessment scores and paper accreditations.